Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The world around us...

I've been doing a lot of reading lately... anything I can come across in regards to autism. I'm not new to parenting an autistic child. I am new, however, to parenting two children with global delays.

So anyways, I'm cruising the great world wide web and finding blogs written by mothers of autistic children. I find myself getting lost easily in their stories and tearing up at the challenging moments. I understand their words, their situations, and their emotions... and I absolutely envy the way they can tell their stories. These women all see to have a gift of words that I could never possess. They write with such eloquence and feeling. I almost feel like my writing is choppy and awful in comparison.

Okay with that out of my system...

I emailed Beth's teacher today.  I formally requested a meeting between her, myself, and my husband. As of this morning Beth could only name 2 children in her class of 22 and said they aren't always nice to her. She says she plays by herself at recess unless the other kids ask her to play... and sometimes she plays with the kindergartners. I learned all of this by simply asking if she enjoys recess. I try really hard not to put ideas in her head. I do my best to ask questions in a way that doesn't imply an answer. I really want to make sure that whatever is decided is what's best for her.

Last Wednesday my baby informed me that she wants to shoot herself in the face. I have no doubt that she knows exactly what that means, but no idea where she got the idea. We don't have guns in the house. She doesn't associate with anyone who does. We don't watch violent programs on TV and we definitely don't expose her to violence.  She hasn't said it since and really couldn't answer why she would want to do such a thing. I didn't push it. Maybe I should have... but she was so frustrated and hurting so badly already that I couldn't make myself push it.

Hopefully I will have this all down pat in time for Jolie and Peter....

3 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! I'm so sorry! It's horrible to assume, but someone must have said that to her.=( I hope you and the teacher are able to find a way for Rhya to be content and enjoy school and her schoolmates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gift with kids, a gift with words is..... well nice to have but not as good as the one you have.
    And it's something you can learn if you want to :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les, I have no idea where she got it, literally. Unless she heard it on the bus... not a clue.

    The teacher agreed to a meeting (on a total off-note... i type metting every. single. damn. time. i try to write meeting...lolol) so we will see what happens then. i'm just waiting for her to get back to me with a date and time.

    <3

    be around more. i miss you.

    ReplyDelete